Lead Poisoning Concerns?
A San Francisco Lead Poisoning Attorney Can Protect the Rights of Victims
You might be surprised how many homes are fitted with lead-based pipes or covered in lead-based paint. Many homes built before guidelines were set on using these materials may contain high levels of lead. If your home was built before 1978, the U.S. Department of Housing and Development (HUD) recommends a home lead test. Furthermore, HUD reports from as early as 1992 reveal that low-level lead poisoning afflicts as many as 3,000,000 children under the age of six. Even at low levels, lead poising can cause intelligence deficiencies including reading and learning disabilities, impaired hearing, reduced attention span, hyperactivity and behavior problems. If you believe you have been a victim of lead poisoning, a San Francisco lead poisoning attorney from our firm can help strengthen your claim.
At Mary Alexander & Associates, P.C., we have over thirty years of experience protecting the rights of lead poisoning victims. Our past success includes a $1.15 billion dollar judgment for consumer fraud related to lead paint. Ultimately, we know what it takes to highlight the facts that support your claim. With a team of professionals, we can gather evidence to protect your best interests. We believe no one should have to deal with serious health problems due to the negligence of someone else.
What Is Lead Poisoning?
Lead poisoning is a type of metal poisoning caused by lead entering the body. Unfortunately, there are many situations that can lead to afflicting someone with lead poisoning. For example, deteriorated or chipped paint can create lead dust that can cause lead dust poisoning. This deadly byproduct can pose serious health hazards to both occupants and visitors. Since this is the case, you can protect you, your family and your guests by finding out if your home has dangerous levels of lead. Some common causes of lead poisoning can originate from:
- Lead-Based Paint: Lead-based paint can be in your home in the form of lead dust. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports contaminated dust from lead paint is the most common cause of lead poisoning.
- Lead-Based Pipes: Lead solder is used in some water service lines and household plumbing materials. This can enter the piping system as the water flows through plumbing. Lead solder and lead pipes were commonly used until as recently as 1986.
- Lead-Based Products: When you buy a product, you do not expect it to harm you. Nonetheless, manufacturers sometimes distribute defective products that contain high levels of lead. For instance, California Attorney General Xavier Baccarra announced on June 7, 2018 that toddler formula manufacturers Nutraceutical Corp and Graceleigh Inc. must cease and desist all manufacturing and distribution and filed a lead poisoning lawsuit. The baby formula in question had 13 to 15 times the maximum allowable dose of lead under California law.
How Can I Recover From Lead Poisoning?
The Federal lead-based paint disclosure program requires that buyers and renters receive information about lead and lead-based hazards prior before obligating to buy or rent. This allows you an opportunity to prevent lead-based poisoning. While prevention is always the best avenue, it is not always an available option. For example, unethical landlords sometimes hide this information or fabricate reports in order to lease a property. Since this is the case, if you believe you have been a victim of lead poisoning, it is in your best interest to contact a San Francisco lead poisoning attorney. Our team of professionals can scrutinize evidence and bolster your claim. A Bay Area lead poisoning attorney from our firm can help you with:
- Medical Expenses: Lead poisoning can lead to a myriad of negative health conditions. This includes brain injuries, nervous system damage, stunted growth, seizures, coma and/or death. If your landlord was negligent with informing you of the levels of lead present on the property, then you can pursue a lead poisoning claim. This claim can request for funds to pay for medical costs.
- Workers’ Compensation Claim: If your lead poisoning happened in the workplace, one of our attorneys can pursue a workers’ compensation claim on your behalf. This claim can pursue medical expenses and lost income. However, if you are looking to recover for pain and suffering, you will need to draft a claim against your employer.
Are You Suffering From Lead Poisoning? Our San Francisco Lead Poisoning Attorney Offers Free Consultations
Does your home have peeling or cracked paint? Do you believe your children have symptoms of lead poisoning? Is your landlord refusing to have your property tested for lead? Unfortunately, lead poisoning can cause serious health problems with some of them taking years to manifest. It is important that you take action against possible negligent parties as soon as possible. Not only can you pursue a claim for damages but also set a precedent for future landlords.
Mary Alexander & Associates, P.C., provides results-oriented representation in lead poisoning cases. We are experienced in investigating lead levels and highlighting negligence. We are skilled trial advocates with a record of success in challenging cases. Make sure you, your loved ones and your communities are protected. Our California lead poisoning law firm is ready to review your situation. Call us at (415) 966-2626 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.