Have You Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident?
A San Francisco Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help You Recover
If you ride a motorcycle, you are at greater risk of injury than other motor vehicle drivers on the road. This is largely due to the fact that motorcycles lack safety features and are smaller than average cars, therefore offering less protection. As a result, motorcycle accidents usually lead to serious personal injury. Motorcyclists account for the smallest group of drivers while also accounting for the highest accident death date. Statistics reveal that motorcycle accidents account for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities according to a 2015 report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Over the past decade, reports show motorcycle fatalities have been on the rise. First and foremost, since motorcycle accident injuries are often severe, is it imperative to seek medical care. Afterward, it is highly recommended that you contact a San Francisco motorcycle accident lawyer who can help you file a personal injury lawsuit.
At Mary Alexander & Associates, P.C., we know how to protect bikers. Our past success includes multimillion-dollar settlements and verdicts in motor vehicle accident cases. For over 30 years our motorcycle accident attorney has helped motorcyclists pursue recovery for damages. Our firm understands that as prudent as a motorcyclist may be on the road, there is little he or she can do about someone else’s negligence. From years of experience, we have developed reliable legal strategies that can protect your best interests. We utilize a team of professionals to investigate the details surrounding your case.
What Are Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Tragically, chances are high that you will suffer a serious injury if you have a motorcycle accident. While motorcycles are involved in fewer accidents than other vehicles, they do not have seat belts or airbags. A collision considered a fender bender while driving a car can easily be a paralyzing crash for a biker. Protective gear has helped motorcycle riders survive crashes — but it is not a panacea. In fact, the NHTSA — which has been compiling fatal motor vehicle crash data since 1975 — has found that about 35 percent of helmeted motorcyclists killed in crashes between 2000 and 2002 suffered head injuries. Just as alarming, by 2005, the motorcycle fatality rate was 73 per 100,000 registered vehicles — compared with 14 for every 100,000 automobiles. Drivers stay safe by recognizing common causes of motorcycle accidents such as:
- Blind Spots: Everyone should check their blind spots before making any maneuvers in their vehicles. Not every driver does and any failure to do so can result in an accident.
- Auto Defect: Defective motorcycle parts can cause a myriad of problems. For example, the center of gravity could be too high after a negligent repair job. This instability can lead to an accident. If this is the case, you may be able to hold the mechanics who repaired your vehicle responsible for damages.
- Lane Splitting: Sliding between two lanes of car traffic is legal in California. According to regulations in 2013, you may split lanes on your motorcycle when traffic is below 30 mph. A car does not have the same privilege. Be aware of any motorcyclists who are lane splitting during rush hour or on residential/city roads.
- Drunk Drivers: Driving under the influence is not just ethically wrong, it is against the law. An intoxicated driver is especially dangerous for a motorcyclist as they are often more unpredictable behind the wheel.
- Negligent Drivers: One of the most common causes of motor vehicle accidents is general negligence, especially in heavy traffic on highways like I-280. Texting while driving and changing lanes without signaling can easily cause a serious motorcycle collision.
Why Do I Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Many parties can be involved in a motorcycle accident. For example, poor road conditions could be a sign of negligence from a public entity. Alternatively, a commercial vehicle or shuttle bus accident can involve both the driver and the shipping company. Usually, claims involve insurance companies that offer an unfair settlement. For this reason, our team of professionals scrutinizes evidence and highlight facts that support your claim. After performing a thorough investigation, our San Francisco motorcycle accident lawyer identifies all potential parties responsible. Our team of professionals can help you pursue compensation for:
- Medical Treatment: Medical care is expensive, especially for long-term or permanent injuries. After identifying who is responsible for your injury, our legal team can pursue compensation for all of your past, present and future medical bills.
- Repairing or Replacing Your Motorcycle: Your bike and gear are important to you. We can seek compensation to have most, if not all, of your damaged equipment repaired. If it cannot be repaired, then we can pursue options to have your motorcycle replaced.
- Lost Wages and Benefits: After an accident, your injuries might prevent you from returning to work — perhaps even permanently. Our attorney can seek compensation for any lost wages and benefits, including losses that you will see in the future.
- Legal Counsel: You have a lot of questions after an accident. We will be there for any question you have throughout your ordeal. If you are unsure what to ask, we will talk with you and identify what steps are necessary.
Injured in a Motorcycle Accident? We Offer Free Initial Consultations
Did you crash your motorcycle because of potholes or deteriorating public roads? Has a negligence driver caused you harm by swerving into your lane without signaling? Do you have questions about how to mitigate risks in a personal injury claim? Motorcycle crashes can be life-altering events — you can be involved in one no matter how safe you drive. Fortunately, the law provides the means for obtaining redress — and answers — when negligence has caused harm to another person. If you have been injured on a motorcycle, then it is in your best interest to contact a Bay Area attorney from our firm that can protect your best interests.
At Mary Alexander & Associates, P.C., our motorcycle accident attorneys in San Francisco have been litigating motorcycle accidents for more than a quarter of a century. We know how to leverage the nuances that can make the difference in your claim. Our strategies involve blending legal and technical knowledge to explain complex concepts to juries that make your case. Your best interests are our only interest. To schedule a free consultation, contact us online or call (415) 966-2626.