Injured in a Truck Accident?
A San Francisco Truck Accident Lawyer Can Strengthen Victim’s Claims
Getting fair treatment from the at-fault party after an accident is never easy. Worse, when trucks are involved in accidents, the results are often severe or fatal. That is why state and federal agencies, like the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), have guidelines for operators. However, California exceeds the national average with over 3,000 auto accident deaths in 2014 according to a National Safety Council (NSC) report. In addition, NSC estimates show that 2017 has six percent more accident fatalities than 2016. Consequences of a truck accident can be life-altering and long-lasting. If you have been involved in a truck accident, then a San Francisco truck accident lawyer from our firm can help.
At Mary Alexander & Associates, P.C., our San Francisco truck accident attorney has been helping victims for over 30 years. Our California truck accident law firm has helped our clients reach multi-million dollar settlements. From years of experience, we have developed reliable legal strategies that can protect your best interests. Our team of professionals investigates all of the details surrounding your case to gather evidence, scrutinize reports and highlight facts that support your claim.
What Are Common Causes of Truck Accidents in California?
All too often, truck accidents are the direct result of someone’s negligence. It could be another driver, failing to operate their vehicle in a safe and reasonable manner. Alternatively, it could be a manufacturer that failed to design and build a safe part or system. While an 18-wheeler accident lawyer cannot undo the damage caused by the accident, he or she can help pursue compensation for recovery.
These cases can be difficult, requiring knowledge of the nuances of California truck accident law. Furthermore, your truck accident attorney should know how to handle courtroom procedures and an opponent’s tactics. In the wrong hands, even a good case can have a bad outcome. A San Francisco truck accident lawyer from our firm is experienced with identifying possible contributions to an accident, some involving:
- Speeding: Unfortunately, not every driver is an example of safety. That is why speed limits are posted to curb aggressive driving. Nonetheless, speeding accidents involving trucks are common on Interstate 280, Interstate 80 and highway 101. While some trucks are equipped with speed limiters, these limitations do not prevent exceeding posted speed limits.
- Reckless Driving: Unfortunately, reckless driving can take on many forms. Improper lane shifting, running a red light, failure to yield, aggressive driving and failing to signal are all common examples of reckless driving.
- Driver Fatigue and Inattention: A commercial vehicle, tractor-trailer or truck can be devastating if operated by a fatigued driver. In other cases, a driver may be looking at his or her phone. Some driver inattention, like drowsy driving, can be as dangerous as driving while intoxicated.
- Driver Inexperience: Being a truck driver often involves driving through inclement weather and making quick decisions, especially in heavy traffic. While these hazardous conditions can be easy for veteran drivers, they can prove difficult for inexperienced drivers.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Trucking Accident?
Odds are high that you have suffered an injury if you have been involved in a truck accident. You may have missed time away from work or face compounding medical bills. You do not deserve to lose benefits, wages and/or time because of the negligence of someone else. For these reasons, it is paramount that you contact a San Francisco truck accident lawyer immediately. An attorney can help determine who is liable after a motor vehicle accident. Some parties that may have a role in the outcome of your case can involve, but are not limited to:
- Truck Drivers: Trucks pose a significant danger to other motorists on the road and drivers must adhere to state and federal regulations. If a negligent truck driver caused an accident, then he or she can be held liable for any damages.
- Vehicle Owners: Sometimes a vehicle’s owner does not keep up with repairs or cuts corners when it comes to general upkeep. For example, a vehicle owner who knowingly installs faulty parts on a truck can be held liable if that part contributed to causing an accident.
- Other Motorists: Just because a police report lists you at fault for an accident does not legally mean this is true. Sometimes, another motorist contributes to an accident and reports fail to mention circumstances that can exonerate you.
- Shipping Company: Transporting goods involves loading and unloading. Since this is the case, there are times when a shipping company’s employees are negligent, or an operator makes an error that results in an accident. Alternatively, a municipality may be involved such as with a public transportation accident. Our San Francisco truck accident attorneys can investigate a trucking company’s policies and procedures.
- Insurance Companies: Sadly, an insurance adjuster will not care about what is fair to you. Ultimately, they offer settlements that protect the interests of the company they work for. Our attorneys can negotiate with insurance providers, protecting and advocating for your best interests.
Truck Accident in California? Contact Our Firm for a Free Consultation Now
Has your insurance company offered you an unfair settlement? Do you have questions about how your accident has been reported? Tired of negotiating with adjusters? Unfortunately, without a legal professional, it can be difficult to receive fair compensation after being in an accident. You may be offered a settlement that does not fully pay for auto repairs, time away from work or medical treatment. Our San Francisco truck accident law firm believes that no one should be a victim to someone’s negligence. Whether you need immediate representation or a review of a current claim, we can help.
At Mary Alexander & Associates, we have been litigating motor vehicle crashes for more than 30 years. Our success stems from our experience, compassion and relationship with our clients. We understand what it takes to give our clients the results — and the answers — they deserve. Our strategies involve blending legal and technical knowledge to explain complex concepts to juries and uphold your case. We can highlight facts that support your claim and works in your best interest. To schedule a free consultation, contact us online or call (415) 966-2626.